- 1. Frequently Asked Questions
- 2. Accessing Student Email
1. Frequently Asked Questions
1.1. How do I access my email?
You can access your student email in a variety of ways. Click on the method you are interested in below for specific instructions.
1.2. What is my student email address?
In general, your CUW Email address will follow the form of firstname.lastname@example.org. Sometimes people will have the same first and last name. In those instances, we append a number to the end of the last name. For example, email@example.com.
You can always find the exact email address for your account, or any other CUW email account, by using the address book. See the picture below for where to find the address book in webmail.
Then just type in the name of the person whose email address you want to find and click on the magnifying glass icon to search.
1.3. What is my password?
First, as a reminder, never give your CUW password to anyone for any reason. CUW IT staff will never ask you for your password.
If you do not know your password, you will need to set a password. This can be done online any time. Please refer to the following Knowldge Book entry for assistance in setting a password:
2. Accessing Student Email
2.1. Other POP3 and IMAP Clients
If you are using an email program that supports either POP3 or IMAP email access, you can configure it to access your CUW Student Email.
Every program is different, so it is impossible to give step-by-step directions for all of them. But each one will require the same basic set of information. You will need the following information:
- User name: This is your entire CUW Email address (Not your Student ID as it is on most other CUW systems). For example, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: This is your normal CUW password. Sometimes the passwords on CUW servers and Microsoft servers can become out of sync and then it will not recognize your password. If your password currently works to get you in to portal and webmail, please try resetting your password again at getstarted.cuw.edu. You can "reset" the password to the same password you are currently using. This process will re-sync the passwords between CUW and Microsoft servers.
- Authentication: Use the same user name and password to authenticate with the incoming or outgoing (sending) e-mail server. Don't use "Secure Password Authentication".
- Server names: The server name you will need to connect to for both incoming and outgoing mail is: pod51000.outlook.com
From any web broswer, type in the following address URL:
You should see a page silimar to the following:
In the Username box, type in your entire student ID (including the F00).
Then type in your password and click on the "Log In" button.
If you do not know your password, please refer to this Knowledge Book article.
When you have successfully logged in to the my.cuw.edu portal, you can click on the Email link, pictured below, to be automatically logged in to your student email. This will open a new browser window to display your email account while leaving the portal page open behind it.
Your CUW Student Email is accessible in Microsoft Outlook from anywhere in the world where you have internet access.
There are a couple of important details to keep in mind. Whenever using Outlook, if it ever prompts you for a username, you need to use your entire CUW Email Address (e.g. email@example.com) instead of your Student ID as you normally use to access CUW systems. Secondly, if it is not accepting your password, it may be because your password has not been synced up correctly between CUW's servers and Microsoft's servers. You can resync your password simply by "resetting" your password at getstarted.cuw.edu. (You can "reset" your password to the same thing it currently is if you like)
Microsoft provides very in-depth walkthroughs for setting up your email in Outlook. Please choose from one of the following links based on which version of Miscorosft Outlook you are using.
If you experience any difficulty in setting up Outlook for your CUW email, the IT Help Desk can assist you. They can be reached at x4357, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can submit a request for assistance online at helpspot.cuw.edu.
2.5. Smart Phones
Any smart phone or mobile device that supports Exchange (preferred), POP3, or IMAP will be capable of receiving your CUW Email as well.
Microsoft has put together a nice in-depth guide for helping you through the setup of your Email acocunt on a smart phone.
Some notes to keep in mind:
- The server name you need to use (For Exchange/ActiveSync) is m.outlook.com. If you experience difficulties using m.outlook.com, you can also try pod51000.outlook.com. If setting up by POP3 or IMAP, you must use pod51000.outlook.com.
- Your username is always your entire CUW email address (not your Student ID)
- If it is not accepting your password, it may be because your password has not been synced up correctly between CUW's servers and Microsoft's servers. You can resync your password simply by "resetting" your password at getstarted.cuw.edu. (You can "reset" your password to the same thing if you like)
If you experience any difficulty in setting up your mobile phone for your CUW email, the IT Help Desk can assist you. They can be reached at x4357, by email at email@example.com, or you can submit a request for assistance online at helpspot.cuw.edu.